Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Comic-Con 2012


Wow, I totally stink at updating my blog!

I blame school and lack of time, but really I've just been too busy with life to think about what to write and blog about.  I do finally have something worth mentioning though.  I went to the San Diego Comic-Con this year here, it was THE most fun I've had in a long time!  There's something for everyone there, literally!  I took my whole family.  We all arrived and branched out to hit each of the thing we were interested in.  My oldest daughter went celebrity hunting, my oldest son hung around the G4 Channel booth and the gaming area, my 2nd son looked for YouTube celebs and both sons were on the prowl for hot cosplay chicks, and my youngest found her tribe with the "Homestuck" crew--don't ask me what "Homestuck" is, my daughter says it's too complicated, but if you like the Wiki on it is here.  Both my artistic kids(son #1 and daughter #2) hung around "artist alley" as well. My husband hit all the free-be lines and booths, and found all his favorite comics such as "The Tick" and we also found his favorite artist and video game creator Doug TenNapel, creator of "Earthworm Jim" and a very nice guy! The hubster brought home the most "swag" out of all of us!  He has a knack for it.

I had no rhyme or reason for where I headed or ended up, I really had no plan.  I looked at the schedule and just went where my feet lead me.  I ended up wandering around the Exhibit Hall, where I saw celebrities, artists, promoters, gamers, cosplayers, reporters, film crews, cameramen/women, and I soaked it all in and just observed it all.  I ended up at several literary panels, and a Deviant Art panel, where I was introduced to the creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Iron Giant, and Lilo and Stitch to name a few, it was a pleasant and happy accident!

One of my friend's I was texting at the time, asked me what it was like there, and all I could think to text back was, "A joyful mayhem!"  It was fun, exciting, and exhausting all at the same time.  I actually lost three pounds from all the walking I did!  That was a plus, especially since most people gain weight during vacation.  It was crowded, I think I got "beer-gut butted' at least a dozen times, and my foot, which was sore from a recent gym accident was stepped on numerous times, but all in all, it was a very enjoyable time.

There was this juxtaposition that couldn't go unnoticed though, there is no where I can think of where the definition of "celebrity" can be muted. I think of it as, "where celebrity and regular folk collide!"  Where else can you be taking a picture of someone (a "regular joe" in cossplay) dressed up like Chewbacca or Darth Vader, and miss someone, a real life celeb like Alan Tudyk or Zachary Levi who will walk right past you without you noticing until it's too late!

We got to live at my brother's beach house the whole time we were there, it was a bit far, the drive every day was about two hours coming and going, but worth it for the weather, views, and peace and quiet!  The general consensus among my family, we are going again, and we'll be better prepared for the next one! So, get ready cause we'll be going back in 2013 for more of the same, can't wait! :)

No comments: